What does a Doula do?
I truly believe your state of mind can have a huge influence on how you birth your baby.
Doula (pronounced "doola") is a Greek word meaning "woman servant or caregiver". It now refers to an experienced woman who offers emotional and practical support to a woman and couple before, during and after childbirth.
The support of a Doula can help in keeping you relaxed, confident and empowered during the birth of your baby (or babies!).
Birth doulas have become increasingly popular in this country over the last few years.
However, it must be emphasised that birth doulas are not substitute midwives. They support birthing mothers, comfort them and are dedicated to the one mother who has hired them, but they are not trained or qualified to give medical advice.
As a Doula I can support you however you choose to birth your baby.
As part of the birth package I will visit you before the birth, where we can spend some time getting to know each other, we can chat about past experiences, stories you have heard and fears you may have.
As a Doula I can give you all the information you need to make your own informed decisions about the birth of your baby.
In the first few weeks of your baby or babies’ arrival you may feel you require the additional support of a Postnatal Doula.
Some mothers just have a doula for two or three weeks. Others find them so helpful they keep them for months! It just depends on your needs and circumstances
As a Doula I can provide emotional and practical support for you and the whole family, some examples of what I can do for you are,
* Helping to establish feeding, whether breast feeding or bottle feeding
* Light house work
* Give you an opportunity to sleep, bath or just have some time out while I look after the baby.
* Occupy other siblings while you bond with the new baby or look after the new baby so you can spend quality time with other siblings.
* I can pop to the shops or run errands for you.
* I can look after the family so you can have the time to prepare meals.
* Give practical suggestions on caring for your newborn
* I can just be there for you to provide infomation, companionship or as someone to have a moan or a gossip with!
This list isn't exhaustive I am always happy to discuss other needs you may have.
Please contact me for more information